The right rug in your favorite print or color can bring your entire room together. However, making sure it's the right size – not too large or too small – can also make a big difference.
To find the size that's just right, follow a few simple steps.
For a Lounge
- Measure the length and width of the furnished area and subtract 24" from both measurements. These numbers will indicate the approximate size of rug you need.
- Don't rely on visual sizing. A rug that's too small can make your lounge feel empty, and one that's too large can overwhelm your space.
For a Bedroom
- To add a rug beneath your sleep space, measure your bed and add about 24" to each side. This will tell you how wide of a rug you need. The most common size for under-bed rugs is 8' x 10'.
- If you have a small room or have your bed up against one wall, you can choose a smaller rug and place it beside your bed. The most common size for this kind of use is 3 x 5'.
Last But Not Least
- Remember to doublecheck all your measurements.
- Make sure to consider the locations of vents or doors, as they may affect where you'll place the rug, and to prevent any overlap.