Supersoft bedding starts at $49
Dorm Bedding Basics
- Essential Bedding Basics Set $94 – $218
- Stay Chill Bedding Basics Set $157 – $324
- Stay Pure Bedding Basics Set $198 – $396
- Classic Bedding Basics Set $189 – $249
- Premium Down Bedding Basics Set $285 – $387
- Essential Decorative Pillow Inserts $14 – $29
- Essential Standard Synthetic Pillow Insert $22
- Classic Down Standard Pillow Insert $18
- Stay Pure Standard Pillow Insert $39
- Stay Fresh Pillow Insert $49
- Stay Warm Standard Pillow Insert $28
- Premium Down Pillow Insert $59
- Essential Pillow Protector $15
- Essential Loungearound Pillow Insert $39
- Micromax Duvet Insert $159 – $179
- Stay Chill Duvet Insert $129 – $169
- Stay Fresh Duvet Insert $159 – $199
- Stay Pure Duvet Insert $159 – $229
- Sleepsmart 37.5 Duvet Insert $199 Sale $118.99
- Premium Down Duvet Insert $199 – $269
- Classic Down Duvet Insert $189 – $249
- Stay Warm Duvet Insert $99 – $149
- Essential Duvet Insert $79 – $109
- Ultra Comforter Protector $79 Sale $46.99
- Memory Fiber Mattress Pad $99 – $149 Special $99 – $129
- Feather Bed $129
- Stay Chill Mattress Pad $79 – $99
- Stay Pure Mattress Pad $69 – $89 Special $51 – $89
- Mattress Protector $59 – $79
- Memory Foam Mattress Topper $99 – $119
- Performance Foam Mattress Topper $49
The Dorm Bedding Basics You’ll Need in College
While you're getting excited to deck out your college dorm room, bedding basics are the first things you should purchase for your new room. A colorful and comfortable bedding set is essential for deciding the decor theme for your dorm as well as providing a good night’s rest.
Your don't get to choose your dorm mattress, which means it might not be the softness or firmness that you're used to. This is where a mattress pad and a mattress protector become indispensable.
Campuses often recommend students purchase their own protector for defense against diseases and to provide a waterproof layer between you and the mattress.
Now that you’ve got your health covered, you’ll want to add some extra comfort. A mattress pad is the easiest way to turn a dorm bed into an inviting haven. Memory foam tops can be your best asset when it comes time to study for finals.
Within your bedding arsenal, you’ll need to include a fitted sheet and a flat sheet. The fitted sheet acts as your “bottom” sheet, creating a comfortable layer between your body and the mattress. The flat sheet is your “top” sheet and an excellent way to provide that snug feeling while keeping your duvet, quilt, or comforter cleaner (read: fewer trips to the washing machine).
A popular option for most shoppers when selecting sheets is a sheet set. This includes a fitted sheet, flat sheet, and one or two pillowcases. It’s a convenient option and useful to ensure your linens match.
Pillows are designed to not only provide a peaceful rest but to support your body and head as well. The appropriate pillow size will depend on your dorm mattress size. Be sure to check with your college to find out what size mattress you’ve been assigned.
After you know your size, you’ll next want to choose a thickness and support level based on your own sleeping habits. Manufacturers tend to recommend those that sleep face down use a thinner and softer pillow, while those who prefer to sleep on their sides select a thicker and firmer pillow.
Duvets, Comforters, and Quilts
The final piece of basic bedding is a blanket. Filching something from your parents’ home may be tempting, but we recommend you purchase something that fits your college’s climate.
Quilts can be great for warmer climates as they are able to keep you warm without overheating you. Most can be washed in a regular washing machine and thrown in the dryer without getting ruined or torn.
Comforters, on the other hand, are perfect for those in colder areas. They trap your body heat and allow you to stay warm and snug on those frigid evenings. Fair warning, comforters can also be difficult to leave in the morning as most are just too cozy.
A third option is a duvet. Duvets are two thin sheets sewn together, acting as a pocket in which you place an insert. These range in thickness and could be quintessential for those living in places that vary greatly in temperature with each change of season.
With so many different pieces to pick and choose from, you may find it easier to purchase items in a set or a bundle. By having all the basics, you’ll be able to make the most out of those hours of shut-eye you’ll get each night.